Tuesday, April 26, 2011

tissue holder

So my friend Joe drives me to work every day.  (He's a nice kid.)  And with spring in full bloom, his allergies are also in full bloom.  His idea of combatting allergies is grabbing a roll of paper towels with which to blow his nose.  By the end of the day, his nose is red and bloody.  Ick.

So I made him one of these:



These pictures aren't actually mine.  They're Elena Henson's.  (I used to teach her back in the day.   Now she's all grown up.  The idea is hers as well.)  And in case you can't tell, it's a tissue holder made out of a Starbucks cup (or any other type of coffee cup).  For the simple version, just cut an opening in the lid, stuff some tissues inside, and viola!

I changed it up just a little bit, because the tissues were getting caught on the sharp edge of the cup lid.  So I cut a large circle out of the top, cut out a matching circle out of plastic wrap and glued it to the inside of the lid.  After the glue dried, I cut a hole in the plastic wrap to allow the tissues to pull through.  That way they could slide smoothly through the plastic wrap.

And for those of you who are wondering, Joe loves it.

PS - Elena is headed to Thailand this summer to live in an orphanage for girls rescued from prostitution.  If you would like to help her out, she is selling t-shirts!  (I bought one) Check it out here.  Trust me, if you knew Elena, you would want to help her.  She's just that kind of girl.

5 comments:

  1. REALLY!? oh my heavens!!!! this is so darling.
    you had such a good idea of how to change it. i ran into the same problems!
    you are so gracious. too generous.
    p.s. your thailand shirt is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That it pretty awesome! And a fun way to keep tissue in car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is awesome! i didn't see the thailand shit link, i'm not on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love joe! he is nice. tell him i missed him at the superbowl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool idea!
    I just started a linky party this past Tuesday. It was a great success with over 50 link ups! I would love it if you would participate next week! It's called $10 Tuesdays and it's for things that cost less than $10 and take 20-30 mins (ish) to complete. I love inexpensive and quick projects and I'm guessing others will too ;) Thanks so much for considering.
    Tina
    http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com/
    PS. I'm GIVING away 50 button pony tailers this month! Come visit and claim yours ;)

    ReplyDelete